$46K Raised for Burn Victim
Friends of Billy Greene have raised $46,000 thus far for Billy Greene, the man who sustained third degree burns on 80 percent of his body.
The group that initially aimed to raise $10,000 for a burn victim has raised nearly $50,000.
On March 10 Friends of Billy Greene held a benefit for the man who sustained 3rd degree burns on 80 percent of his body after he became engulfed in flames after an electrical fire caused an explosion at a Bensalem carpet store in January. The benefit was held at Steamfitters' Local Union 420 hall in Philadelphia, where Greene is a member.
Since the group has far exceeded the donation amount it anticipated to raise, it has upped the ante to see if $50,000 is attainable.
"We haven't closed the donation account yet so donations can still be made at Friensofbillygreene.com or at any Wells-Fargo bank," Maddi Arnott said. Arnott, her husband Brad, Robert Ranoia and Ken Dzielawa founded the Friends of Billy Greene.
In early February, the group had received about $1,200 in donations and hoped to reach $10,000. Funds raised by the Friends of Billy Greene will help with medical bills and family finances, Arnott told Patch.
While more than 450 people attended the benefit, a second benefit is in the works. The next benefit will be held March 30 at 7 p.m. at the Harmonia Club, located at 2404 Orthodox Rd. in Philadelphia.
"The tickets are $30 per person for all you can eat, beer, a DJ, 50/50 and flat screen tv door prize," according to information on the group's Facebook page.
Greene is currently at the Temple Burn Center where he has been since the fire, which occurred on Jan. 17 Adams Carpet Store, which is located at 2064 Street Rd. in Bensalem. He is expected to remain in the hospital for 6 months to a year.
Greene was working on an electrical panel box as a contract electrician at the store when an electrical explosion occurred, according to previous Patch reports. He ran towards the front of the store, where an employee of Adams Carpet attempted to assist him. The employee's actions saved the man's life and most-likely prevented the fire from spreading to other stores in the same shopping center as the carpet store, Battalion Chief Robert Sponheimer said.
While attempting to help Greene, the employee also sustained burns and was first transported to Aria Torresdale by ambulance before being taken to the Temple Burn Center.