An electrician and an employee of Adams Carpet were taken to hospitals with burns after an electrical fire caused an explosion at the store on Thursday evening, police said.
One victim, an electrician, was flown to Temple Burn Center and is in "extremely critical condition" with burns covering more than 80 percent of his body, according to Bensalem's Sgt. Andrew Aninsman. The second victim, an employee of the carpet store, suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns to his hands and arms and was taken by ambulance to Aria Torresdale.
Just before 5 p.m., a person believed to be an electrician was working on an electrical panel box inside Adams Carpet, which is located at 2064 Street Rd., when an electrical explosion occurred, according to the Bensalem Police Department.
The male, who is in his 40's, was "engulfed in flames," police said. He ran towards the front of the store where some carpet caught on fire.
An employee of Adams Carpet attempted to assist the victim and sustained burns to his hands and arms.
The surrounding businesses did not appear to be affected by the fire, as customers could be seen coming in and out of Aldo's Pizza and Tin Chue Chinese & Vietnamese Restaurant.
PECO restored electricity by 6 p.m.
The fire is currently being investigated by the Bensalem Fire Department and Bensalem Detectives. Responding units included Bensalem Fire Rescue, Eddington Fire, Cornwells fire, Nottingham fire and Bensalem Rescue Squad.