Volunteer fire companies in Bensalem are marking National Fire Prevention Week by holding open houses at their firehouses.
According to the National Fire Prevention Association, Fire Prevention Week was established to commemorate the Great Chicago Fire, the tragic 1871 conflagration that killed more than 250 people, left 100,000 homeless, destroyed more than 17,400 structures and burned more than 2,000 acres. The fire began on Oct. 8, but continued into and did most of its damage on Oct. 9.
Bensalem is home to six volunteer companies (Cornwells, Eddington, Newport, Nottingham, Trevose and Union) that provide fire response to different areas of the township.
Here’s the schedule of open houses at the Bensalem fire companies:
- Trevose Fire Company, 4900 Street Road
Sunday, Oct. 9, Noon-4 p.m.
- Cornwells Fire Company, 2049 Bristol Pike
Wednesday, Oct. 12, 7-9 p.m.
- Eddington Fire Company, 2700 Eddington Ave.
Saturday, Oct. 15, Noon-4 p.m.
- Nottingham Fire Company, 3420 Street Road
Saturday, Oct. 15, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Union Fire Company, 2067 State Road
Saturday, Oct. 15, Noon-5 p.m.
- Newport Fire Company, 5961 Bensalem Blvd.
Saturday, Oct. 22, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.