The will be reinstated as of noon today, according to a release from Public Safety Director Fred Harran.
It was suspended in July by the township over leadership issues and a controversial fireboat that was obtained through a government grant. It was the second time that Union was suspended by the township.
The fire company, located at 2067 State Road, provides fire coverage to the eastern portion of Bensalem along the Delaware River. While it was suspended, this area was assigned to the township’s other volunteer and paid fire personnel.
An agreement was signed by the Union Fire Company that includes the following:
- The new chief of the fire company will be James Barford.
- The new president will be John Knowles.
- Union Fire Company has a new slate of both operational and administrative officers.
- An extensive remediation plan has been established and will be implemented.
- The vessel known as Marine 37 is being returned to FEMA for disposition.
- Union Fire Company will be on probation until December 31, 2012.
An article by Monica Yant Kinney on Philly.com detailed the situation that led to the fire company’s suspension.