The National Weather Service (NWS) in Mount Holly has issued a wind advisory for the Philadelphia area including Bucks and Montgomery counties. Strong gusty winds are expected.
The advisory is in effect from noon Tuesday through midnight.
According to the NWS, a cold front from the west is forecast to pass through Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey on Tuesday night. A strong south to southwest wind is anticipated in advance of the front`s arrival.
A south wind at 20 to 25 mph on Tuesday afternoon becoming southwest on Tuesday evening is expected with wind gusts around 45 mph.
The NWS said strong wind may bring down tree limbs and utility lines. Outdoor items such as patio furniture and garbage cans will be blown about. The wind may also make driving difficult, especially on bridges and on elevated roadways.
Here’s the local forecast:
- Overnight Scattered showers. Cloudy, with a low around 64. Southeast wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
- Tuesday Showers likely, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 2pm. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. High near 79. Breezy, with a south wind 10 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
- Tuesday Night Showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 2am, then showers likely. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Low around 63. Breezy, with a south wind 14 to 23 mph becoming west after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.
- Wednesday A chance of showers before 8am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 72. North wind 10 to 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
- Wednesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 52. North wind around 7 mph.